Inland Fisheries Kokanee & Salmon Foundation, Inc
Kokanee Power is a non-profit organization of volunteers & members dedicated to the enhancement of California and Oregon Inland Kokanee, Trout & Salmon Fisheries. Kokanee Power, in part, provides assistance to the California
Department of Fish & Wildlife and other Fisheries Enhancement Organizations in their ongoing efforts to keep these fish in public waters. We also promote inland fisheries enhancement through various netpen projects such as those at Collins, Lake Almanor, New Melones, and Shasta Lake, support of hatchery programs, education through scholarships & grants, and sportsmanship through our various fishing derbies & tournaments. Our membership of more than 1200 men and women volunteer their time, money and enthusiasm to accomplish this task. Would you like to be a part of our effort? CLICK HERE TO JOIN! Isn't it time you get involved?
June 22, 2022
Inland Fishery Survey Results
Update on Gary Coe: As the result of a recent medical procedure, Gary Coe has requested a temporary medical leave of absence as President to allow himself to rest and recover. The Board approved that Larry Abernathy will assume Gary’s duties for an anticipated short period of time. The Board will continue to plan and execute upcoming events and projects. We wish Gary a speedy recovery and his limited involvement during these times.
- AOY Adult Standings through Pedro - Here are the adult standings for Angler of the Year through 3/6 derbies.
- AOY Junior Standings through Pedro - Here's the junior AOY standings through Don Pedro.
- New Melones Kokanee Derby Online Entry Form - Sign-up online for the derby at New Melones. Weigh-in at the Calaveras Fairgrounds and results / lunch / raffle will in the same AC cooled building as last year.
- New Melones Derby Mail-In Form / Rules - Here's the Mail-In form for the New Melones derby for July 9th as well as the rules and information.
- Don Pedro Derby Photos - Check out the Don Pedro Derby Photos on the photo gallery link and then select event in the upper right.
- Don Pedro Derby Results - Get the derby results at this link. It was a hot one in terms of weather and the Kokanee bite was tough but some team unlocked them with some nice Kokanee. Tks to all that came out to support the fishery.
- Shasta Derby Photos - Check out the Shasta Derby Photos on the photo gallery and then select event in the upper right.
- 2022 Plant Data for Kokanee & Kings - Here's the Kokanee and King plant data from the DFW. These are the fish of the future you will be catching in a few years.
- 2022 Shasta Derby Results - Check out the derby results for Shasta. Lots of fish were caught including some Kokanee. Weights were bigger in general on Saturday and the usual weight stuffing to maintain positions on Sunday. Tks to all that participated. Next up is Don Pedro.
- Pardee Derby Photos - Check out the Pardee Derby photos courtesy of Dave Weaver and Sara Nece.
- Pardee Derby Results - Thanks everyone that came out for the derby. You can check out the results via the link. Next up is Shasta for the 2-Day Tournament April 30, May1.
- North River Boats - Thank You! - Thank You North River Boats for your Lifetime Corporate Membership to Kokanee Power.
- 2022 Kokanee Power Derby Schedule PDF - Here's the 2022 Derby schedule that you can view and print out. You can also find this listed on the derbies page. Recently updated with new Pardee date and Berryessa.
- Last CDFW Kokanee Egg Take Complete. - Another 676,280 were gathered by the CDFW on 10/12 to bring the final total to 1,796,468. Fish sizes were up slightly this year at 11.7” for males and 11.2” for the females. This is below the historical average but bigger than last year.
- 2021 Egg Takes 1 an 2 nets 1 million eggs - The DFW conducted two egg takes and have collected 1,120,000 eggs which are now at the San Joaquin Hatchery. Another egg take or two scheduled to bring the total to 1.8 million.
- AOY - Final Standing - Adults - Heres the final standings for Angler of the Year - Adults. Top 5 all be recognized at the annual banquet.
- AOY - Final Standings - Juniors - Here's the 2021 final standings for Junior Angler of the Year.
- 2021 Shaver Derby Results - Last derby, great Weather and good fishing were the them. Tks to all that came out to enjoy the Shaver Lake fishery. Here are the results.
- Pardee II Derby Photos - Enjoy the photos from the Pardee II derby. Thanks Dave Weaver and Sara Nece for capturing the event.
- Pardee II Team Kokanee and Trout Results - 90+ participants came out to enjoy a 2nd round at Pardee Lake for Kokanee and Trout. Here's the results and thanks to all that participated.
- New Melones Derby Photos - Check out the derby photos in the photo gallery. Thanks Dave and Sara for taking the photos on and off the water.
- Bullard's Bar venue change to Pardee Lake - A heads up we are changing the venue from Bullard's Bar to Pardee Lake based on the low water and ramp issues at Bullards. We'll have the new sign-up forms for Pardee up soon.
- Angler of the Year Stats thru Melones - Here's the current standings for Angler of the Year for the Adults and Juniors.
- New Melones Derby Results - Here's the Derby Results. Thanks to everyone that turned out for a great event.
- 2021 Don Pedro Derby Results - 144 anglers came out for a great event with perfect weather for Kokanee fishing. Kokanee were generally in the 14-15 inch range from 40 to 80ft. Click on the link for the results.
- 2021 Kokanee and King Plant Data - The 2021 Kokanee and King Salmon plant data has been updated. Check out your favorite lakes to know what will be there in the future when they become mature.
- 2021 Lake Shasta Tournament Results - Shasta is a wrap and here are the results. Thanks to everyone that came out to support the fishery.
- 2021 Pardee Lake Photos - Check out some great photos from the Pardee Derby courtesy of Dave Weaver. Thanks Dave!
- COVID Derby Safety Rules - For our derbies we have put in place some COVID safety rules to avoid gathering and promote safety of our participants. Please review if you plan to attend.
- 2021 Pardee Derby Results - Awesome turnout for our first derby. Tks everyone that came out to support the fishery. Click the link for the results.
- 2021 Tentative Derby Schedule - We have posted a tentative derby schedule for 2021. Click on the link for details.
- January 2021 Newsletter - Take a look at our recent newsletter that covers 2020 and our outlook for 2021.
- John Lico 1963-2021 - It is with great sadness we are communicating the passing of Director, John Lico. John was a 20 year member of Kokanee Power and spent 13 years as a Director. Click the link for more details and some photos.
- Trout Pens Update - Trout pens at Shasta, Collins, Lewiston and Lake Siskiyou have been stocked up to grow over the fall and winter. Just the Melones pen left to complete.
- California DFW - Kokanee Egg Take - 1,316,370 total eggs were collected in 4 separate events. Eggs are at the San Joaquin Hatchery and will be split with the America River hatchery when they are at the eyed stage. Thanks DFW for this effort!
- Shasta LakeTrout Derby - The Fall trout derby is on Oct 10,11. No dinner this year due to COVID, just the weigh in. Click on the link for details and sign-up.
- Kokanee weirs put in at Stampede - It’s that time of year and the DFW has put the Kokanee weirs in place at Stampede in preparation for egg collection. Unfortunately they will not be able to utilize volunteers at this time due to COVID concerns.
- Shaver Lake Derby has been cancelled - The Shaver Lake derby for September 12th has been cancelled.
- Stampede Derby has been cancelled - The Kokanee Power Stampede derby for August 15th has been officially cancelled. We’ll continue to evaluate to see if we can make Shaver happen and let you know around 3 weeks in advance of the event.
- Kokanee Power Banquet Update - We are looking to secure a venue and date this fall for the fundraiser banquet. Stay tuned as we continue to evaluate with health and safety in mind for attendees.
- New Melones Derby has been cancelled - The New Melones derby on June 27th has been cancelled due to the COVID 19 situation.
- 2020 Kokanee / King Plant Data from the DFW - Click on the link for the 2020 plant data that was received from the DFW.
- Whiskeytown Derby has been cancelled - The June 6,7 derby has been cancelled due to the continued COVID-19 situation. Stay tuned as we are reviewing creative ways to hold derbies without gathering in groups and comply with local regulations regarding health and safety.
- Stampede Reservoir Fin Clipped Kokanee - Check your Kokanee Salmon at Stampede to see if they are fin clipped and report them through the Angler Survey.
- Shasta Derby Postponed till Fall - The May 2,3 Derby postponed till fall. See the note above.
- Lake Pardee "MAD" Derby has been cancelled - Due to the Coronavirus situation we have had to cancel the April 18th derby at Lake Pardee. We'll continue to evaluate future derbies and make those calls accordingly.
- Inland Fishery Survey Results - Take a look at the survey results from the inland fisheries survey that started last years. Check out the visualization of this data and continue to submit your surveys to help manage the fishery.
- Final King Plants and New Plant Charts - The King Plant data has been updated for Trinity, Shasta and Oroville based on recent plants. Also check out out new chart and map technology to review the plant lakes using the link.
- 2nd Kokanee Egg Take Nets 700K+ - Final egg count overall is 1,789,252. Thank you to all volunteers that came out to help. KP volunteers at the Friant hatchery have already been in action since day 1 caring for the eggs, constantly removing bad ones in the egg pots.
- First Egg Take a Success! - Just over a million Kokanee eggs were collected by the DFW along with some great volunteers that showed up to assist. Tentative plan is for next Wed the 16th for another egg take.
- 2019 AOY Results - Adults & Juniors - Here the final results for the Angler of the Year competition. The top five will be recognized at the March banquet in 2020. Congrats to the top finishers.
- Shaver Derby Results - What a derby... 120+ participants, great mountain weather and fish that were scattered throughout the lake. Fish in the 14-15 inch range were the target big fish this year.
- Angler of the Year Stats thru Stampede - Updated stats through Stampede for Adults and Juniors.
- 2019 Stampede Photos - Great photos from the Stampede derby from Dan Heninger. Click on the link to go to the gallery and select Stampede to view.
- 2019 Stampede Derby Results - Here's the results from the Stampede derby. One more derby this year at Shaver on Sep. 7th.
- 2019 Angler of the Year Stats - Here's the Angler of the Year stats up computed through to Melones. just two more derbies left this season, come on out and enjoy the fishery
- Angler of the Year Information - Here's the program information about AOY and how it is computed. This can be found in our Articles section of the web site and here is the link.
- Stampede Derby - Registration Closed - Based on venue capacity and overwhelming sign-up we have closed registration for this derby. Hope to see you next year if you missed it.
- Stampede Aquatic Invasive Species Form - Please make sure to fill out the Invasive species form if you are attending the Stampede derby on August 10th.
- 2019 Melones Derby Photos - Over 150 great photos from the Melones derby courtesy of Dave Weaver and Sara Nece on and off the water. Always fun to document the event.
- 2019 New Melones Derby Results - Melones derby was a great time with a huge turnout. The fish cooperated and were fat and feisty. Check out the results and commentary.
- 2019 Kokanee and King Plant Charts Updated - 2019 Kokanee and King Plant Charts Updated - Plant info for 2019 is not available in the charts we update every year. These fish planted are considered one year olds and will be your 3 yr old fish for 2021. The future looks very bright.
- 2019 Whiskeytown Derby Results - A crazy derby where 6lb 3-Fish limits were in the mix and 2 pound plus fish were not unusual. Whiskeytown weights were bigger than last year and plenty of fish to be caught. Check out the results and don't forget Whiskeytown this year.
- 2019 Whiskeytown Photos - Check out the photos from the 2-Day Whiskeytown Derby.
- 2019 Shasta Photos - Photos from the Shasta Derby are in the gallery.
- Kokanee Plants at Shasta Lake and Whiskeytown - Yes.. that is correct Shasta received 87K and Whiskeytown 50K today. Shasta has not seen Kokanee for many years. Whiskeytown needed a supplement in case Kokanee lost their spawning area based on last summers fires.
- 2019 Shasta Tournament Results - Another Shasta Tournament in the books with the heaviest winning weight ever. Check out the link for the results and thanks to all that participated
- 2019 Pardee Derby Photos - Check out the photos from the Pardee Derby in the photo gallery courtesy of Dave Weaver.
- Pardee Lake Derby Results - Check out the derby results for Pardee. We had a large turnout and the weather was perfect.
- 2019 Fundraiser Banquet Photos - Photos from he Fundraiser Banquet courtesy of Dave Weaver and Sara Nece. Click on the link to go to the photo gallery to see the photos.
- 2019 Membership Renewal - Don't forget to renew your membership for 2019 so we can continue to support all of our fishery and special needs programs. You'll also receive a discount at many of the fishing derbies with your membership.
- 9 New Board Members - KP has hadd 9 new Directors to our Board and Nancy Coe has moved to the Vice President position. Use the link to see the complete listing.
- 2019 Schedule of Events - Here's the 2019 Event schedule that includes the fundraiser event in March and the 6 derbies planned this coming year.
- New Melones Pen Planted with Rainbows - The New Melones pen was planted last week with so great looking Rainbow Trout. The will fatten up over the winter and get released in the Spring.
- Silverthorn and Jones Valley Pen plant. - For Lake Shasta Silverthorn received 300 Brown trout and Jones Valley 300 Rainbow trout. All these beautiful trout came from Crystal Lake Hatchery. Tks Monty Currier for the photos.
- Lewiston Pen Plant - The Lewiston lake pen was planted with Rainbows. Click on the link to see some photos.
- KP Donation to Camp Fire Victims - Kokanee Power has donated $1000 towards the Camp Fire victims via the Butte County Schools Fire Relief Fund.
- New Melones Pen Update - The Melones pen was cleaned and put back into the lake and ready for trout. Thanks to volunteers Bob Mooney, Ken Hopper, Mario Lopez and Ken McDonald.
- Shasta Pen Update - Update from Harold Jones at Sugarloaf Cabins. 300 1lb Browns were planted in the Shasta Sugarloaf pens.
- Hatchery Update - Eggs were split up and 518K are at the San Joaquin hatchery and the rest were sent to the American River Hatchery. Of note were the second batch of eggs collected were larger in size.
- 73,000 Kings planted in Shasta - 6-8 inches. Half were planted last week and the other half this week. These were triploided kings (won't reproduce).
- Egg Take #2 adds 350K of eggs - A great supplemental egg take adds to the now of 1.5M eggs. No more will be collected. Check out these great photos in the gallery from Larry Abernathy.
- Kokanee Egg Take #2 - October 16th - 2nd round but targeting less fish. Little Truckee - Above Stampede 7:30AM. Hwy 89 N towards Sierraville; turnout is on right hand side of road ~8-9 miles north of the Hwy 80 interchange.
- Kokanee Egg Care - San Joaquin Hatchery - Great first egg take of 1.5M eggs now at San Joaquin Hatchery. Check out these volunteers caring for the eggs after they were delivered. Photos courtesy of Jim Travis.
- John Minnis 1949-2018 - It's with great sadness we are communicating the passing of KP Vice President "Big John" Minnis. Click on the link for details and funeral services tomorrow in Truckee.
- Kokanee Egg Take #1 October 9th 7:30AM - Little Truckee - Above Stampede. Call John Lico at (707) 246 7171 to get on the volunteer list to get updates. Hwy 89 N towards Sierraville; turnout is on right hand side of road ~8-9 miles north of the Hwy 80 interchange.
- Angler of the Year Final Standings - Adults - Final results for the Adults. Congrats to the top 5 who will be recognized at the banquet in March.
- Angler of the Year Final Standings - Juniors - Here's the final results for the Jr's. Congrats to the top 5 who will be recognized at the banquet in March.
- Shaver Lake Derby Photos - Great photos from derby chairman Jim Travis. Click on the link to go to the photo gallery.
- Shaver Lake Derby results - Last derby of the year and here are the results for Shaver.
- Update AOY Standings - Now updated through Stampede.
- Stampede Derby Photos - Great derby photos from club photographer Dave Weaver. Check them out in the gallery link.
- Stampede Derby Results Posted - Stampede is a wrap with a great turnout and lots of good size Kokanee. Click on the link for the results.
- Pardee Derby Photos - Check out the Pardee derby photos in the photo gallery. Use the link and select Pardee in the upper right.
- AOY Standing through Whiskeytown - Here's the Angler of the Year standings for Adults and Jrs through Whiskeytown standings.
- 2018 Pardee Derby Results - Check out the Pardee results. Thanks for all that came out to support the fishery and organization.
- Whiskeytown Photos - Great photos from the derby courtesy of club photographer Dave Weaver.
- Whiskeytown 2-Day Results - What a great 2-Day derby. The Kokanee were fat and feisty living up to their reputation, Check out the derby results.
- Shasta Tournament Photos - Check out the Shasta photos in the photo gallery.
- Shasta Lake Tourney Results - Check out the results from the Shasta Lake Tournament. We had the biggest fish weigh-in ever. Thanks to all that participated.
- 2018 Pine Flat Derby Photos - Check out the photos from the Pine Flat derby in the photo gallery.
- 2018 Fundraiser Banquet Photos - Check out the great photos from the 2018 fundraiser banquet courtesy of club photographer Dave Weaver. Use the link to go to the Photo gallery.
- Melones Pen planted with trout. - Check out the photos from the Trout pen plant at New Melones. Thanks to all the volunteers.
- Jr AOY Update - An update to the JR AOY standings with Shaver updates. The final results are now:
1) Cody Hight 318 pts
2) Nick Hernandez 321 pts
3) Ty Collins 418 pts
4) Natey Lenard 513 pts
5) Emma Jo Duvall 522 pts
6) Brody Code 522 pts
- Kokanee Egg Care - A few photos of KP volunteers helping to care for the Kokanee eggs. Click on the link and select the 2017 Egg Care gallery.
- Egg Take #1 a success! - The fist egg take yielded 206,000 eggs and they are as the San Joaquin Friant hatchery. Stay tuned for the next egg take planned for the week of the Oct 30.
- Congrats to Fred Nakagawa - Fred won the Garmin 1042XSV, a $2300 unit from our Great Garmin Giveaway raffle.. Thanks to Johnson Hicks Marine and Garmin for making this happen.
- Angler of the Year Final Standings - Adults - The 2017 Angler of The Year Results have been finalized. Congrats to the top 5 who will be recognized at the annual banquet in March. Click on the link to see the final listing.
- Angler of the Year Final Standings - Juniors - Here's the final standings for the Juniors. The top 5 will be recognized at our banquet March, 2018. Thanks to all that participated.
- Shaver Lake Derby Photos - Check out the derby photos from Shaver courtesy of Jim Travis. Tks Jim.
- Shaver Lake Derby Results - Check out the results from the Shaver derby.
- Bucks's Lake Derby Photos - The Buck's Lake derby photos are posted in the gallery.
- Buck's Lake Derby Results - Here's the Buck's Lake Derby Results. Click on the link to see them.
- Whiskeytown Derby Photos - Check out the derby photos from Whiskeytown in the gallery link.
- Whiskeytown Derby Results - Click on the link for the derby results. It was a tight field with some great fish weighed in.
- Buck's Lake Team Kokanee Derby - Aug 19th - Use this link for the online derby form for Buck's Lake. Come on out and enjoy the fun at this cool mountain lake where you can escape from the heat of the valley.
- Stampede Derby Photos - Over a 100 photos from the Stampede Derby courtesy of Steve Quintal and Jim Travis. Click on the link to go to the gallery and select 2017 Stampede Derby. Enjoy!
- Stampede Reservoir Team Kokanee Derby Results - Here's the derby results for Stampede. A great turnout escaped the valley heat and were rewarded with lots of Kokanee. Thanks to all that came out to enjoy the fishery.
- Don Pedro Photos - Check out the Don Pedro Derby photos provided by Steve Quintal. Click the link to the photo gallery and then select Don Pedro in the upper right.
- Don Pedro Derby Results - The Don Pedro Derby results are posted. Thanks to all that came out to the derby.
- Pardee Derby Photos - Check out the Pardee Derby photos provided by Dave Weaver and Jim Travis. Click the link to the photo gallery and then select Pardee in the upper right.
- Pardee Derby Results - Check out how everyone did at the Pardee derby where 130+ participants enjoyed great weather, food and raffle. Some nice Kokanee and trout were weighed in.
- Shasta Lake Tournament Results - The results are posted. Thanks to all that participated.
- Pine Flat Trout Derby Photos - Head over to the photo gallery to see the photos from the Pine Flat Derby.
- Fundraiser Banquet Photos - Check out the banquet photos courtesy of Dave Weaver. Thanks to all that attended. Your supporting dollars go back into the fishery.
- Fundraising Banquet a Sold Out Success! - Thank You to all who joined us that night! It was full of fun, smiles, and laughs.
- Fishery Press Release - Great info to share on new Kokanee bag limits, egg take, Lake Berryessa and the King fishery plants.
- Kokanee Fishing in the 60s - Check out this interesting 1960 article about Kokanee Fishing from a an old publication from the CA DFW.
Kokanee Power was busy in 2014 beyond the 7 regular derby events. Here's some of the activities listed below. Check out our Message Forums and the Projects Page for more details on many of these activities.
-- 2014 - Kokanee Power continues to support 30 trout pens, the most of any organization in the state by providing food and pen resources.
-- October - The Kokanee Egg Takes produced They will be reared for release in 2015.
-- May - Sep - 7 Derbies were held to raise funds to support the fishery.
-- April - Kokanee Power Pen Trout were released at various lakes
-- March - The annual Kokanee Power Fundraiser banquet was held in Lodi. Thanks to all who attended.
-- The Kokanee Kronicle Newsletter provided everyone updates on the clubs activities.
-- January - ISE Show Sacramento. Another great show and volunteers helping man the booth.
Memory of Phil Johnson